Sunday, February 07, 2010

Snowmageddon

Q: What happens when the media calls the Blizzard in 2009 (previously reported on this blog) the "Storm of the Century", and then another bigger, nastier Blizzard occurs in the SAME SEASON?

A: Make up an even more over-the-top claim... this is no ordinary Blizzard. It's SNOWMAGEDDON! (I think President Obama came up with the term, but it's been broadcast everywhere the past 24 hours).

Q: What happens when another storm comes along even worse? (Hopefully not this year!)

A: Call it "Snowmageddon of the Century"?????

At any rate, the official totals across Maryland claimed anywhere between 24" and 31" of snow. All I know is that it snowed... a LOT. I also knew it was coming, so I had the Bolens tractor ready and was able to plow the drive -- 4 times. Once Friday night at 10PM, once Saturday morning at 7AM, again Saturday afternoon at 4:30PM, and finally this morning at about 9:30AM. The sun has baked off most of the remaining snow on the drive, but there is literally no place else to stack snow. The snowbank along both sides of the road are as tall as Holly, and the bank my Bolens tractor made are a strong 4 feet tall. It's really ridiculous--as you can see by my pictures below.

My favorite picture is Holly's car--that we parked at the top of the drive to make room for the Bolens and snow cleaning operations below. The car became part of a car-size snowdrift. You literally cannot tell where snow ends and the car begins!

What's worse is that they are calling for "a lot" of snow on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Plus, it won't rise above freezing until this coming weekend when another snow storm is supposed to come through. I have no clue where "a lot" of snow will go!

7 comments:

Mom and Dad Chalk said...

Wow! That is a lot of snow. It is pretty to look at though. I'm glad I didn't have to plow it. I think it's going to take a while for all of that to melt. Stay safe.

Love,
Mom Chalk

Anonymous said...

It was so bad that I actually went outside to shovel with Jas. He should have gotten a picture of that, because it almost never happens! :)

Laura said...

Wow, that's about as much snow as I've ever seen. There is a picture in Holly's childhood album where she is walking between two walls of snow that are taller than she is but she wasn't all that tall at the time it was taken. Snow is beautiful but only for a day or two. Keep warm and safe.

jasonchalk said...

Haha, I wish I could have seen that picture of Holly--I'm sure we could recreate it now!!!

Holly was a fantastic snow remover... for her car. It was like Holly was unearthing a dinosaur as she was meticulously unearthing her "baby". After she took a few quick swipes with the truck she was tired and went back inside ;-). Kidding, dear... thanks for the help!!!

Jennifer said...

We figured you guys were in for it when our local news had a segment with a weather guy from Baltimore saying how you all were about to get the massive snow. Good luck with the multiple feet of snow... Cincinnati will continue to freak out at multiple inches....

:) Jenn

Michael said...

That is just so beautiful which reminds me of a song.

Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we've no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!

Of course after this week's snow on top of it all, I'm sure your getting tired of it. If we were only just kids again and could just play in it all day, it would be so much more fun.

Happy shoveling,

Uncle Mike

jasonchalk said...

Actually, I laugh at these pictures now. I'll take some new pictures and put them up. We got another 20+ inches on top of this. Combined together we have a full 4 feet of snow on the ground. That's not drifts--just baseline. Drifts are in some cases as tall as I am! Ridiculous!!!